It’s true an HR Consultant can be a valuable asset who can save you time, reduce your stress, and mitigate your legal risk, but what questions should you ask an HR Consultant before you hire them?
Just as with any professional service you outsource, you want to feel comfortable with the provider you choose. You must be able to trust them and their ability to handle your HR needs. You want to know you’re making an informed and carefully considered decision.
20 Questions You Should Ask an HR Consultant
Asking these 20 questions can help give you the clarity you need as you’re evaluating HR Consultants:
- How long have you done HR consulting work?
- What kind of experience do you have?
- How much of your experience has been in California?
- How do you keep up-to-date with the changing HR laws?
- Are you an attorney who can give me legal advice?
- What is your philosophy about litigation?
- How do you investigate and handle legal complaints, like sexual harassment or workplace discrimination?
- Are our communications protected to remain confidential if faced with legal demand?
- How many HR consulting clients do you currently represent?
- What industries are they in?
- Would any of your current clients be considered our competition?
- What HR tasks can you help me with?
- Do you work onsite or remotely?
- What do I need to provide for you?
- How do you get paid?
- What happens if I disagree with your advice?
- Are you able to connect me with other professional service providers I may need for things you don’t handle?
- How often can I contact you to ask questions?
- How quickly do you respond to questions?
- How do you prefer to communicate with clients?
In addition to the answers themselves, evaluate how the HR Consultant you’re considering hiring is handling the questions. For example, are they direct and to the point, or do they say a lot before eventually answering the question? Do they explain using examples you can easily understand?
Most importantly, are you comfortable not only with their answers but also with their communication style?